Hybrid Children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis Tuuri

Hallo everyone!

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this question: Can part goblins have children?

I know it would be instinct to say "Yes, why not?" for some people, but having taken Biology (and watching too many documentaries/reading too many animal encyclopedias) I know that hybrid animals; e.g. ligers, mule etc. are supposedly sterile. So Donkey + horse = mule. Mule = no babies. At least, that is considered to be the usual case. However there have been accounts of mules producing perfectly healthy foals (including other hybrids, too). The chances are said to be about one in a thousand that are born not sterile. So what's the truth about Jareth and Arty?

1. Are part-goblins able to have children?
and
2. (If you believe they can) What are the chances of them having tiny little goblin bubbies?
3. Consider that Art's goblin blood is a throwback to her great-grandmother, and Jareth's to his grand-father.

(No Beth, I am not planning their future xD) Thank you, dears! KR

Interesting. I don't actually know the answer, but this raises questions such as:

1) What happens if a part-goblin breeds with a half giant/giant?
2) What happens if a veela breeds with a giant/half giant/half goblin/goblin?
3) What happens if a part-veela-part-goblin breeds with a giant?

Arty-
That is a really interesting question..
Erm.. Well, I mean, I'm sure they can.. If a human and goblin can successfully have a baby and that baby can successfully reproduce with a human then why not two part-goblins?

Lexi-
1. You get a normal sized ugly person xD
2. you get a very pretty being.
3. You get an average looking normal sized person :p

Larissa Sedgwick said:
Arty-
That is a really interesting question..
Erm.. Well, I mean, I'm sure they can.. If a human and goblin can successfully have a baby and that baby can successfully reproduce with a human then why not two part-goblins?

Lexi-
1. You get a normal sized ugly person xD
2. you get a very pretty being.
3. You get an average looking normal sized person :p
Well, that's what you'd think, but apparently most hybrid animals are sterile because of a ... chromosome problem or suchlike, that stems from the difference in species. If goblins are a different species to humans, wouldn't they have the same problems, too?

However:

We've also neglected to take into account the fact that this is the wizarding world as well. Not to take the stand point of "Everything is possible in Wizard Land!". Just that things can be changed with magic and with potions, etc.

4. If they couldn't produce children, would there be something they could do by way of magic to rectify that?

1. Are part-goblins able to have children? Yes. If part-veelas can (as seen in Fleur) then so can part goblins.
2. (If you believe they can) What are the chances of them having tiny little goblin bubbies? 0. You don't randomly go back to a previous species of children. Those children will be a lesser part-goblin.
1) What happens if a part-goblin breeds with a half giant/giant? The child is quarter giant, and a lesser part-goblin.
2) What happens if a veela breeds with a giant/half giant/half goblin/goblin? See above. It's the same concept.
3) What happens if a part-veela-part-goblin breeds with a giant? See above. It's the same concept.

If part-veelas can (as seen in Fleur) then so can part goblins.
Hm... I don't think J.K. Rowling thought that bit through very hard...

You don't randomly go back to a previous species of children. Those children will be a lesser part-goblin.
I didn't mean "Would they have goblin features or not?". I meant that, considering that they're throw-backs from a previous generation, would this affect their chances of having children? Hence why I added that most hybrids have a one in a thousand shot of being able to reproduce.

Frankly, now that I think about it more, this is what I've come up with:

Part-goblins (despite what J.K. Rowling has done with Fleur etc.) cannot reproduce, just like any other hybrid in the animal kingdom, excepting the very few that can. I also think that Artemis and Jareth, who are not fully part-goblin (as in, they are throw-backs) do have a greater chance of having children because their goblin blood runs thinner.

Fleur was a part-veela, but could reproduce.
Therefore other part-species could reproduce.
Therefore part-Goblins can reproduce.

I think that should be HNZ's official stance on things.

Yes, but physiologically it's almost impossible.
Fleur may have been one of those 1-in-a-thousand hybrids. But that doesn't mean that all hybrids should be able to. It's pretty much against the law of nature. Basically, they just can't.

Thanks for helping, everyone. :) I've got it worked out now.

Okay. Here's how it is. HNZ is canon. Fleur was part Veela and could reproduce.
Hagrid was part giant and it stands to reason he could reproduce.
Therefore part goblins could reproduce.
That is HNZ's official stance on it, yes I agree Nick. :D

Saying that officially they cannot reproduce is limiting others characters and it's against canon.
If you'd like your character not to be able to reproduce for some reason is fine. :)
But you cannot say it's because of them being part-goblin.

Oh you're totally welcome. ;)

Merry Forrester said:
Yes, but physiologically it's almost impossible.
Fleur may have been one of those 1-in-a-thousand hybrids. But that doesn't mean that all hybrids should be able to. It's pretty much against the law of nature. Basically, they just can't.

Thanks for helping, everyone. :) I've got it worked out now.
No, it's not physiologically impossible. Normally the problem for reproduction is a chromosome number difference. Who is to say that giants, goblins, veelas and humans don't have the same number of chromosomes?
Also, the magical world is, well, magical. :)

Just thought I should point that out. :tut:

Topic Closed and Archived

Your question/issue has either been resolved or is unanswerable.
If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to open another topic in the FAQ forum, we're always pleased to answer your questions.

Thank you,

~The HNZ Site Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back